TEMPLE ISAIAH BOARD POLICY ON BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
1. We recommend that a letter be drafted on behalf of the Board of Temple Isaiah that asks the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) to amend their policy regarding homosexuality. This letter should be addressed to the national organization and delivered to the local council (Mount Diablo Silverado Boy Scouts of America Council). In addition, copies of this letter should be sent to local churches and synagogues in Contra Costa County along with a letter encouraging them to join us in our effort to enact change of this policy by writing their own letters to BSA.
2. We recommend Temple Isaiah members who are involved with Boy Scouts to advocate for change in the BSA membership policy by taking actions such as:
• Writing letters to BSA protesting its non-inclusive policy;
• Joining and supporting organizations such as Scouts for Equality that are organizing campaigns by boy scouts against the anti-gay policy;
• Working within their troops to oppose the current membership policy and foster diversity and inclusion;
• Withdrawing from troops that support the BSA anti-gay policy and joining troops that are opposed to that policy.
• Exerting financial pressure on BSA by withholding contributions to the national BSA (beyond required dues) and supporting troops that are opposed to the non-inclusive policy, and letting BSA know the reason for this decision; and
• For those considering joining Boy Scouts, postponing joining until the anti-gay policy is changed on a national level or joining a troop that takes issue with the national policy and communicating the reason for this decision to the local council and national organization.
3. The Board supports the clergy’s current policy of not writing Eagle Scout recommendations or signing off on religious awards for the Boy Scouts until the BSA membership policy is changed.
4. Temple Isaiah will not sponsor any Eagle Projects or allow any Boy Scout activities on its campus until the policy is changed.